So MUCH Stuff! Years of accumulation.
It's a daunting task sorting through everything we have accumulated as well as all that my Dad left behind. His 83 years of mementos. And his parents mementos...
We have several months to complete this task but we are getting there. It doesn't have to be so difficult. We just have to get into a different mind set. We tell ourselves; "It's just stuff".
First thing to do is pack or set aside what you would save in a fire if you had time. Documents and necessities and family heirlooms. Give some to grown children or put aside for storage.
I am thankful we don't have a basement or attic full but the barn makes up for that! A BARN full to toss, burn, give away, sell or repack for storage.
Pulling stuff out of stored boxes and the deepest nooks and crannies of every closet, cupboard and cabinet.
Reading others peoples blogs about this task. I know we are not alone with the struggles of "letting go". Most of it is pretty easy to toss but some things I have to set aside and talk myself out of.
... You DON'T Need It!" I keep telling myself..
Be assured it does get easier with practice.
They say to get rid of anything you haven't used in a year, even if you aren't downsizing.
Well, I have stuff that's been tucked away for 10, 20 and even 30+ years! Most is easy to purge but other things I struggle with.
Oh! And then there is my Dad's stuff!
He was born in 1913! Some is my Grandparents stuff! They were born in the late 1800's! Most of that will go into storage. Some I might donate to a WW2 Museum tho.
It's mind boggling but at the same time this really is a good thing. A blessing in disguise. Moving or not, this needs doing.
If we weren't forced into doing this and if anything ever happened to me, I'd hate the thought of my kids having to deal with sorting through all this stuff. It wouldn't be fair to them at all. This is a major motivation to get through this part of preparation to live in a 5th wheel.
When I start feeling "separation anxiety" about the stuff I'll take a walk out in the desert and imagine that I already don't have a house, and all that stuff ....
Ill Imagine I had just pulled off the road and stepped out of a trailer and am going for a walk taking in the scenery.
I put my mind there and imagine I already don't have all that stuff.
It's all gone and replaced with this ......
Quiet
Fresh air
Endless scenery and wildlife ... FREEDOM ...
That helps motivate me too.
Instead of having things (that can be replaced) sitting on shelves that I have to dust off...
you can't replace time and missed opportunities.
No amount of money can give you more time.
Instead of stuff I will be free to roam
all just a step outside my front door, wherever we park it.....
Someday my body will not cooperate. Someday I will not have a choice but to sit in front of the TV and stare at those dusty things on the shelf. I won't even have the ability to dust them!
But right now we have a choice......


.jpg)




No comments:
Post a Comment